In the West, acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine (CHM) are often considered to be effective only for specific conditions such as muscular pain, for stopping smoking, for losing weight and, more recently, for boosting fertility.
In fact, these approaches are effective for a wide range of conditions, as acupuncture & CHM treatments focus on a person’s natural healing response, not on the illness itself. Acupuncture can also be used to prevent illnesses at times when the body is under stress - changes of season, emotional challenges, difficult life events - or when just feeling ‘not right’.
Clinical practice and clinical studies over many years have shown acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine’s effectiveness in helping a wide range of conditions, including the following:
- Musculo-skeletal: arthritis, back pain or weakness, sciatica, Bell’s palsy, post-stroke muscular stiffness or paralysis
- Gynaecological: heavy & painful periods, long, short or irregular cycles, premenstrual tension (PMT), pain from endometriosis, fertility, preparation for IVF or IUI, repeated miscarriages, menopausal symptoms (e.g. insomnia, night sweats, hot flushes and mood swings)
- Pregnancy support: morning sickness, symphysis pubis pain, lower back pain, sciatica, insomnia, tiredness, breech conditions, induction (click here for further detail)
- Postnatal support: faster recovery to health, especially after traumatic birth experience, postnatal depression
- Skin conditions: eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, acne, ulcers
- Circulation problems: pins & needles, cramp especially in extremities, numbness, cold hands & feet
- Digestive problems: irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), recurrent indigestion and heartburn, constipation and diarrhoea
- Respiratory disorders: frequent common colds & flu, asthma, hay fever, chronic or acute coughs, sinusitis
- Mental/emotional: anxiety, stress, insomnia, low moods, depression, panic attacks
- Urogenital problems: cystitis, thrush, vulvitis,vaginitis, vulvadynea, prostatitis, enlarged prostate (BPH)
- Cancer treatment support: radio/chemotherapy side effects support
✤ Many other conditions can be also treated successfully, so it is always worth enquiring about any specific problems you may have.